“To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting.” ― E.E. Cummings
On Saturday we compete. The Strongman Competition has finally arrived. If you’re not familiar, Strongman is a branch of Crossfit. Or Crossfit is a branch of Strongman. Or the two met in the middle of a windswept field of daisies and it’s been wedded bliss ever since. You basically lift really heavy awkward things like tires and stones and move them across a distance for time. Or in Crossfit speak, increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains.
Yard work for people who do not have yards.
There will be lots of cheering and colorful knee socks and camaraderie and sparkly nail polish (my personal secret weapon of choice, guaranteeing certain victory).
Everyone competes at different weights, based on their weight class, the weights with which I will be competing are included with each event below:
1) 9-6-3 Stone 2 Shoulder/Tire Flip Medley – 7 min time cap. – Stone: 90lbs. Tire: 275lbs.
2) Max Axle DeadLlift – 3 Attempts (60 seconds to complete each rep) 20 pound jumps for all classes. Bar starts at: 160lbs.
3) Log Clean and Jerk – Max reps in 90 Seconds. at 90lbs. (Of all the events this makes me the most weary as we know I am weakest with anything overhead. Get it!)
4) Keg/Yoke/ Farmer Medley – 90 sec time cap . – Keg: 140lbs. Farmer’s Medley weights are per hand: 110lbs. Yoke: 290lbs.
5) Keg over Bar – Max reps in 90 Seconds. Keg at 105lbs.
RULES: No Tacky, No Suits, No Straps, No Sumo. Belt, Chalk, Sleeves OK. Control the apparatus or its a No Rep. More details day of.
“To-day we may say aloud before an awe-struck world: ‘We are still masters of our fate. We are still captain of our souls.” ― Winston Churchill